The Mighty Ani, the capital of the Bagratuni Kingdom, was first mentioned by Armenian chroniclers in the 5th century as the “City of 1001 churches” or “City of forty gates”. It was already the most important hub of its time for the various caravans journeying along the Silk Road, and the population of Ani reached as many as two hundred thousand people. The capital of the Bagratuni Kingdom rivaled the greatest cities of the time – Constantinople, Baghdad and Cairo. Its numerous temples, palaces and fortifications were amongst the most technologically and architecturally advanced in Europe. The main gate of the city that survived to this day depicts a leopard – the symbol of Ani.